Sunday, March 18, 2012

Marshall Turns 9!

How could this have happened?  I'm quite sure I don't know!
One day a doctor hands you a beautiful warm bundle of baby boy and the next thing you know, he's a smart, well spoken, sweet as sugar 9 year old!
Daddy and his wee man.
I absolutely adore that distinctively male face on a newborn!
Being homeschooled prevents the kids from being able to bring cupcakes to school to celebrate with their friends, so we do the next best thing.  Muffins and juice with our friends from church!
We included Marshall's "twin" in our celebration,
Ari has a birthday the day after Marshall's.

Not sure what he wished for, but if I had to guess, I would say either meeting FDR, Abraham Lincoln or that Groupon deal of the day to be able to visit the Titanic.
On the first Sabbath of the month, our church holds their big potluck.  Marshall's birthday just happened to fall on that first Sabbath this year, as mine did last year.  For my birthday last year, Jeremy snuck out of Sabbath School to pick up a cake he had ordered and paid for on Tuesday.  He then surprised me at potluck by telling everyone it was my birthday and having the entire church sing Happy Birthday to me.
Sigh.  How sweet.....  So, what was I saying?  Oh yeah, Marshall's birthday.  Apparently Jeremy's gesture of love towards me struck a chord in my son's heart and he let us know that it "would be ok with him if we told everyone it was his birthday and let them sing to him".  :D  So we did.  He grinned like the Chesire Cat the entire time!
The afternoon found us just hanging about the house, relaxing.
In the evening, Marshall wanted to invite his friend, Myles and his family over for his BDOC.  (Birthday Dinner of Choice)
This years menu?

Grilled Cheese
Tomato Soup
Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting

Of all the meals, why "Red Hot, Cheese Hot"?  He does love it... but he loves lots of food.  I'm not saying this was the deciding factor, but the sister who provides him with the most sibling rivalry and keeps him on his toes "Does not like it, SAM I AM!"  If that was the reason, then well played, my son!  Way to use your birthday dinner to maximize both the fullness of your tummy AND your personal enjoyment.

I made this ceramic birthday plate in 2010.  I thought it would be a fun way to make the birthday person feel special in this house.  I then forgot it was in the cabinet for ALL OF 2011.

Marshall reminded me it was up there, so he was the first to use it.

The avarice birthday loot!

Amelia forgot to get him a gift, so she gave him the pink necklace she'd made out of a paper plate at her library program the day before.  He's a good sport and wore it the rest of the evening.

Rock on with the Apples to Apples, Bible Edition!
Thanks, Grandma!

Staring down the barrel of yet another cross country move, our big gift to him was a kindle.  Many books in one small package.  And a light.  To read at night.  When I won't stop at a hotel.  ;)

Marshall and his best buddy Myles

Happy Birthday to my sweet baby boy!
May life hand you many more happy days and years.  Most of all, I pray that you always put God first in your life.  You delight me every single day and continuously make me proud of you and the person you are growing to be.  I am so blessed to be your Mama!


3 comments:

Kareen said...

Looks like a perfect 9th birthday. And well played on the BDOC :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Marshall!

J said...

"The [strike]avarice[/strike] birthday loot!"

False. Avarice =
Extreme greed for wealth or material gain.

You've merely shown the results of your spawn's avarice...I hope you're happy with yourself.